
It's difficult to see inside the box except to tell that it is a man in robes and the giant caraffe on the right. You might be able to make out the lettering on the box: "Deluxe Miracle Jesus" it says. Also, the exclamation sticker says, "Glow In the Dark Hands!" If you could see the entire box, you would see that on either side of the box are "accessories". On the left you have loaves and fishes. On the right there's water and wine. I was surprised he didn't come with his own cross but Andy pointed out that you probably only get the cross with the Platinum Edition Crucifixion Jesus.
I mean, is this weird or is it just me?
I don't mean to sound sacriligious. Many of you know that Andy and I both have strong faith and as Emma has begun reminding us (as well as strangers at restaraunts) that we need to pray before meals, it looks like some of our teaching is paying off. I'm just not sure that marketing our Savior as a play toy that will end up in the bottom of a toy chest is quite the right take on it either. I mean, I suppose if anyone should be an action figure, perhaps it should be Jesus but it just seems odd to me. I guess it's not that different than having a Virgin Mary statue on your dashboard (which again seems odd to me, but those Catholics have always been nutters). To each his own. And if each of you want your own Jesus, let me know and I'll head down to the mall to purchase you your very own minature deity.
1 comment:
Well, I finally caught up with your blog. I've missed quite a lot from basically lack of energy to get upstairs. It's amazing what July heat, 50-something years and 13 regular sized steps can do to your will. Anyway, I'm so glad I've caught up. I've got to get my router fixed! Loved all the news and the pictures.
What will the marketing geniuses come up with next! God in a box! I guess our thoughts of respect and reverence apply to nothing anymore. Through my childhood, we were always told it was deemed disrespectful to cast Jesus in a light that could be scoffed at or made fun of. No More! Glowing hands! Also, the WASP tradition of not naming anyone by that particular name...which can make one understand my shock at the "Jesus" check.... ahmmmm.
Anyway, hope all is well with you all today. I won't tell you how it finally is settling in that I won't be seeing you soon...or how many times I hav ORBITZed flights to Tallahassee.....but, I will tell you how much I love and miss you all. Give Em a big kiss for me.
Post a Comment