Friday, July 20, 2007
Emma Episode: Lowe's
This afternoon around 4:30 we took a trip to Lowe's to get new deadbolts for the doors now that we own the house. On the way to Lowe's Emma was speaking in her cute little Gibberish language. I have discovered that Gibberish rears its indecipherable head at 2 different times: when Emma's had a massive amount of sugar (like yesterday after the b-day cookie baking session in which she literally lay down on the floor, spun in a circle and jabbered to...no one) OR when E is overtired or running on Empty. Today Gibberish began on the way to Lowe's. She's been sleeping until 9:00 so I knew she wasn't tired. It had to be that she was hungry. She's been eating like a Shetland pony lately (I hesitate to say "horse" because she is still pretty little). So anyway, headed into the store, she spotted 2 of those carts that have the plastic molded seats (PMS, ha!) attached to the front with harnesses for kids to ride in. God know's why, but Emma loves them. These and the shopping carts masquerading as race cars are 2 of the greatest inventions in Mommydom. It makes shopping with a preschooler so much easier when they think they are making the cart run into the end of the aisle and it makes it easier for you to pretend it was an accident meant to amuse your child. But I digress. The 2 PMS carts had been sitting in the 102 degree heat so we told her we'd get another one inside. Did they have another one inside? - of course not. And here begins the episode. At that moment, my beautiful blonde headed angel's head began rotate on her shoulders as she screamed at the top of her lungs to protest having to ride in a "regalar" cart. She then proceeded to go "noodled" when I tried to pick her up and put her in the basket of the cart. In doing this manuever, she landed squarely on her tailbone. This produced a shriek sounding much like I had physically struck her in the face. By this time other Lowe's patrons were staring; some in amusement, some in judgement. Usually I would be mortified but today I knew that she was just hungry and all I could do was laugh. Andy was laughing too. Now, in complete reversal from the previous fit, Emma was screaming, "Mama, hold me!" because her little tush hurt from smacking the cement floor of Lowe's. The head rotating had stopped but the screaming was still going strong. It took about 15 steps down the main aisle until she calmed down enough to be understood in her wailing. Ultimately, we got her into the cart. As the last of her sobs were dying away, she heard a familiar sound: the chime of her new Princess lamp that Grandma & Grandpa bought her for her birthday. Immediately, her head popped up and she said, "Mama, the Princess lamp! Let's go see it!" Ahh, the tragedy of it all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
isn't life just grand sometimes? there is always something we can laugh about. I think your home is beautiful. Praise God that things are coming together.
Don't you love motherhood! Happy Birthday to that "in charge" three year old! Where ever do our girls get such take charge personalities!?
And a huge congrats to you all on a home! Soon, yes, it will seem like "home". There will be many new adventures! Good luck to you! Hope to talk to you soon!
Post a Comment