Saturday, April 14, 2007

Emma update

So, this afternoon Emma informed Andy and I that she wanted to move to Florida, NOW! This was after breakfast this morning when she had slapped her jean purse (compliments of Aunt Leanne) over the shoulder of her footed pajamas, walked to the door to the garage, and shot us this phrase, "By hon, I'm going to school. See you later!" Quite a funny thing for a 2+ year old to say, considering the fact that she screams bloody-murder whenever we leave her alone too soon at bedtime.

Her new favorite phrase is, "I don't know". For anyone who has see Bill Cosby's stand-up comedy, this is a phrase that will strike fear and surge anger through any parent's veins. Today we asked her, "What do you want for breakfast?" Her response? "I don't know." Then we asked, "Why did you take off your pants and pull-up? (right as we're trying to leave so they can show the house)?" Her response..."I don't know." We asked, "Want to go outside and play?" E's answer, "I don't know." Question: "Why are you flailing your arms and screaming after I just handed you M&Ms?" You guessed it, "I don't know." As you can see...infuriatingly simple.

As a 30 lb. psychological mastermind, Emma is diabolically cunning. I believe it is a requirement for making it to age 3 that you are able to bring an adult to tears with such tactics as:
  • the sock and shoe removal before any impending car trip
  • the "one more kiss" routine at any impending sleep situation
  • the lap-around-the-car routine any time we're running late
  • the insistence on "one more minute" at the end of a movie

These are just a few of the seemingly innocent things of which Emma is capable. Oh yes, don't let her fool you, she looks like an angel. From what I've heard, she acts like an angel for everyone else too. I guess the reassuring part is that - she's normal! All of my friends swear that they're little ones act(ed) the same way at 3.

However, she is smart and perfect and beautiful. This morning she told me, completely unprompted, "I love you, Mama. You're my Mama." That's the kind of thing that softens the edges of the little dictator's steel-toed boots.

2 comments:

Janet Mauk said...

I am convinced more than ever that you have the most perfect, most beautiful child!

Janet Mauk said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.