Hi. My name is Reagan and I'm a bookaholic.
I'm obsessed with books; in particular, Harry Potter and Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series. I am constantly wanting to read, talk about and buy these books. It is immaterial to me that I already own these books.
Actually, if I am to be completely honest with myself, it doesn't just stop there. I fantasize about buying books the way most women pine after jewelry, shoes, or the pool-boy. I hide book purchases from Andy the way some women try to keep that new pair of shoes from their husbands. I collect bookstore giftcards like a kid hoarding his birthday money. I scope out good book-buying locations the way alcoholics memorize all the locations of local liquor stores.
For some women a perfect afternoon would involve shopping and (`` - Emma's contribution to this blog post) eating at a restaraunt with a friend. My dream day includes sleeping past 6:30 (sorry E), eating (insert just about any food substance here), heading to the local book store and cozying up with some coffee and a stack of books taller than my child. The next several hours would involve reading parts of all books in my pile as well as re-reading sections of old favorites. Perhaps MK would come along with me although while in the bookstore, there would be no talking except to comment on whichever book we happen to be perusing at that precise moment.
So, if the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, I will never recover. This obsession of mine is NOT a problem, I say. It is a hobby and it is an obsession. I have no excuse except to say that I love to read.
4 comments:
Well as I have always said, as addictions go, yours (and mine) is not so bad...it could be heroin for goodness sakes! I too fantasize about book shopping but have never really admitted it. I am thrilled to discover that, once again, you and I are the same person.
Your addiction is wide spread. Don't tell anyone, but I believe there are many of us out there. Afterall, where else can I be a comboy, a African detective, and a romantic lover on her way to a secretive tryst? oh yes, there's the attortney who is jailed for contempt.and on and on I journey through each turned page to sigh and cry and laugh a little. Pure escape and pure joy.
I am absolutely loving every word in The Thirteenth Tale and cannot wait to pass it back to you. It has the flavor of fine literature and I know you will enjoy it.
The only thing better is our beautiful Emma who personafies all joy and laughter and everything good in the world. Such magic seeing life renewed through her expression of awe. we fully endorse your addiction and will enable you whenever possible. love, Mom #2
Okay, I was told to check out the Joan Hess books and I know you are the go to girl for a second opinion. Have you read her? Is she good? I have very small windows of opportunity to indulge in our common passion so I don't want to waste it on a bad book. I thought it was cool that she lives in Fayetteville. Buy the way I have NEVER fantasized about book shopping, that is only for the hard core! Love ya!
Hmmmm.....hiding books....yeahhhh. We once had a stack on the nightstand so high (How high was it? It was so high...[I don't have a punch line, so if anyone has an origial, feel free to insert it]), but it was pretty durn high, teetering in fact, because it was so unstable. MK did a wonderful job putting them away one day, and it was only down to a few (i.e. 6 or 7). And then....I opened the nightstand drawers. Voila. BOOKS. Just as logical as Cosby giving his kids chocolate cake for breakfast. Chocolate cake, it has EGGS! and MILK!. The nightstand...it has BOOKS! and more BOOKS!!!
Post a Comment