Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I know, I know...

As many of you have mentioned to me over the past couple of weeks, I have been hideously neglectful of my blog. Looking at my Archives, it is a sad state of affairs to watch the number of posts dwindle but one of my New Year's resolutions is to post more often. Let me just plug in a few of my excuses here as to why the blog has been so bereft lately: (1) I'm gestating. The 1/2 of you that haven't done this, please try it and get back to me. (2) Our home laptop is decrepit. It takes upwards of 10 minutes just to boot up and that doesn't even count the time it takes to load the internet. By the time we get E to bed and get the computer working, it's time for us to go to bed. (3) My mother-in-law gave me this book to read and it is CONSUMING my free time. I'm currently a little pissed at her because I've been staying up entirely too late reading the damn thing. I haven't stayed up reading until 2:00 in the morning since the Deathly Hallows came out. Sheesh. And it's a series so I've more to go. (4) I have only 8 days of prep time left(weekends; I can't do any of this when I get home from school, are you crazy?) until baby boy gets here. We still have to put up the crib, swap out chest of drawers, organize closets, wash baby clothes, etc. I'm panicking but keeping it all bottled up inside. (5) I'm just plain lazy sometimes.

Lots has happened since the last post. Princess Palooza 2007 was a success. We had a blast at Disney World despite a bumpy start. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and Jay & Leanne and spouses were really good sports about helping us share the Emma ride-along responsibility. One sad note, E developed a chest infection while we were at Disney and coughed her head off at night. On the last day at Animal Kingdom she had a fever. We were those parents: "You're getting on the safari ride now, I don't care if you have a fever and would rather nap in the stroller. We're going to look at hippos - it'll be fun." We really didn't push her that hard and she still had a good time it was just obvious she wasn't herself. She actually asked to ride in the stroller for Pete's sake. You people KNOW that means she's sick. The rooms at the hotel were really nice and had plenty of room for all of us. There were Trivial Pursuit games in the Snider family tradition and I am sorry to say that I was on the losing team both times. However, everyone who played the 2nd night will attest that the Snider vs. non-Snider game was decidedly unfair. Dinghu Fever? What the heck? Am I right, Jay? My parents ended up buying into the time-share that offered us this trip so there could be many more Disney days ahead. Let's face it - we live 3 1/2 hours away so we're definitely going again. MK and Scott have said they'd like to hang with us out there one weekend. Anyone with kids, we could tag team it. Jess and Ken? Em and Dave? Ben and Vickie? It really is a lot of fun.

We spent one glorious day at home (doing laundry) and then hit the road for Central Arkansas. We made the trip up to AR in one day. It really wasn't that bad until we hit Memphis. Then it seemed like we'd never get there. We were in Hot Springs most of the time we were there visiting Andy's family and having Christmas with them. It was good to be back in cooler weather. One gets tired of 75 and 80 degree December days after a while. We made it to Little Rock for one day and I got to see Jess, Courtney and Katie. It was so good to see them. Definitely not enough time but better than nothing. Then we made the trip back to FL in 2 days. I'm not sure which is worse: 1 day trip or 2 day trip/expedition. Personally, I'd almost vote for flying and I get airsick! I am planning on bringing the kids for 2 weeks this summer (YIKES - I said kids, as in plural, as in more than one) so hopefully I'll have more time to visit and maybe make my way to NW AR too.


I moved for the 3rd time so far this year at school. I'm now in a portable building and am told I won't have to move again until summer. Sadly my books remain in storage and I miss them desperately. Another disturbing note: the portable building next to mine caught fire and BURNED TO THE GROUND last week before school started back up. Luckily (gasp) only 2 of my windows melted and just the outer siding was singed on my building. They assured us it was an electrical fire, not arson. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? So arson was a possibility??? My own portable is equipped with a smoke detector and fire extinguisher but I plan on just running for the hills if I see or smell smoke. Someone else can save my grammar books. Besides all the books I care about are STILL IN STORAGE. The portable building is older than I am - It was installed in 1974 and the A/C was "added" later. Gee, why did the other one have electrical problems? The only positive thing is that now I don't have to travel between classes. That's good since I'm in the swelling stages of pregnancy. My kids hate it but I kind of like being out in the middle of nowhere. No one to look in on me and sit in the back of the room while I teach. SLAM poetry anyone? Kidding. Sort of.

I promise to be a better blogger this year. I'll have lots of time when I'm home with the bambino. Hope you are all well. Talk to you soon. Promise.

1 comment:

Tammy Z said...

I am so glad everything is going good. I think about you a lot and wish I could call you up for a play date. You let me know when and we will be there to split the bill for a Disney trip! Good luck with the gestating, I can't wait to see pics of the little guy. By the way are you registered anywhere? Love ya!