Don't move. Don't. Do whatever you must do in order to stay in your current home and city to avoid it. Dress up as a taco if you have to, just don't move. I concur that moving, whether across the street or across the country, should require that courses be taken in the following areas:
How to Hire a Moving Company
How to Fire a Moving Company
How to Pack a Truck After Firing a Moving Company
How to Avoid Divorce: Not Blaming Your Spouse for Everything (see also other life-changing events i.e. Getting Married, Changing Jobs, Having Children)
How to Talk to Service People Without Using the Words "moron", "idiot", or "imbecile"
How to Read a Map and Follow Directions
How to Understand Money, Movers and Mortgages
How to Become the "Squeaky Wheel" in Order to Get the Grease
How to Drug Pets for Extended Travel
Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about FL. I realize it doesn't sound like it from this tirade but I am. I'm not excited about losing our original house, house-hunting in Let's-Make-a-Deal-style, fighting with the bank, shmoozing the termite guy or finding out that target.com considers Tallahasse to be its own private island and charging us the same price as the kitchen table itself to send it to us. (Beware of Special Delivery Zone shipping fees. Ouch.)
More than anything though, is I hate that this is the way my husband's new adventure has begun. When he decided to go back to school for his PhD, he was so excited. He seemed happier in the past few months leading up to our move than he had been in the entire past year. I just knew this was the right choice for our family. Now, he's stressed out and feeling guilty like this is all his fault. I hate that for him. I am choosing to believe that this was God's way of protecting us from a money-pit of a house. I am choosing to believe that our neighbors will be better. I am choosing to believe that Max will actually fit through the tiny cat door in the newest home choice. (MK has instructed me that if/when Max does in fact get stuck in the cat door, I am to take photos first and then help release him.) And finally, I am choosing to believe that the excitement about this new phase of our life will come back for my husband. I want so much for him to know that Emma and I support him and that because this is his dream, it's part of my dreams too. Yick. Too much sap. Must go purge by swearing at the kids playing basketball outside our hotel window. Later.
No comments:
Post a Comment