I'm taking Jessica's advice and turning over a new leaf. She has chosen to be positive about her and Ken's wait for approval to go to VN and get Beckett. I am choosing to be positive about selling our house. I don't want to talk about it anymore and I'm sure you're all tired of hearing about it too. It will be fine. People do this all the time. Here endeth the epic.
Having said that, I am currently (currently meaning this point in my life) under self-imposed pressure. I have wanted to write since I can remember knowing how to write. And I mean write as in "write a novel that is published to some small circle of acclaim from which I can make a tidbit of extra money". I am constantly beset with the urge to scribble something down. I suppose writing here on this blog is, in a way, publishing but let's be honest, who is really interested in this drivel? Maybe by taking the time to write on the blog, I'm draining any reserves I might actually have to write a book. The burr in my literary saddle is that I have no great story to tell. I have thought of writing about my childhood - recent as it may seem to some. However, then there's the inevitable fear of offending family, friends, or both in the process. I've thought of writing a "history" of my grandfather's life which is, in my opinion, fascinating. It seems a daunting task. What if I don't do him justice and offend him? I've had lists of ideas for fictional stories but I can't seem to get past the first few "chapters" with any of them. Ultimately if I want to do it, I'm just going to have to make myself sit down at regular intervals and write. This, of course, is at odds with my innate talent for procrastination. If only there was an imaginary deadline that could force me into producing something. I suppose I'll just have to wait for the right muse. Which sounds extremely passive and makes me want to slap myself. So, before this mental pity-party really gets out of hand I'll bid you all good night.
2 comments:
To a certain extent, I think the blog can be a creative release. At least it gets you back in the habit of spilling thoughts onto a page.
Do you know about National Novel Writing Month? Maybe that would be a good jumping off point for your book.
http://www.nanowrimo.org/
Hooray for a positive outlook!
you just crack me up. you are a prolific, brillant, funny writer. you have a janet evanovich sense of humor with a flavor of olde english. i love your blog.
as far as the house, just start packing some boxes each evening. include emma as your helper. remember it doesn't have to be perfect. or even NEAT. we will all help. the hardest thing for you will be to let go of the control and LET US HELP YOU. it will get done, you will move, and you will live happily ever after with a few quirks in between.
loved the gift and the card. thank you so much. i had a great mother's day. rested and got taken to outback. YUMMY! no dessert or chocolate, though. I am trying again to give up sugar.
and remember, when you write the next great American (vampire) novel, you must buy me an inground pool.YES!!!
Post a Comment