OK, so the first two don't count but I'm definitely stealing my friend Jess's idea by creating a blog. I was (am - she' not dead!) so impressed with her blog about her and Ken's adventure in adopting their son, Beckett. She has inspired me to create a blog of my own so that family and friends can keep up with us Mauks during our new adventure! {Sorry, Jess, you were always the one with the great ideas anyway. Remember Memphis?! Or was that my idea? It went - not badly, just not as expected - so it could have been my idea.} But I digress...
In case you haven't already heard, we (Andy, Emma, the cats and I) are on our way to Sunny Florida! Andy has finally taken the leap and is headed back to school (yes, again!) for his PhD. He will be attending Florida State in the fall. As he is the perpetual student, this is the perfect next step in his life/career. I have, however, told him repeatedly and in no uncertain terms that THIS IS IT! No more school for him after this. He can sit in a library cubicle and research until he rots but we're done studying/paying/writing for degrees after this. I will not tolerate a double major or second doctorate.
Even though I am deadly serious about this being Andy's last trip into academia as a student, I am thrilled that he's doing this. He's been talking about it since he finished his Master's and I am so excited to see one of his dreams becoming a reachable goal.
In the coming months we will be selling our house, packing up all our belongings (as well as chucking out some things - boxes of old Sports Illustrateds anyone?), finding a new house, finding me a job (public school vs. private/ testing nightmare vs. snot-nosed elitists - what a choice - sheesh!), and becoming Floridians. Floridians...sounds like an exotic disease doesn't it? "It's a shame, really, to have contracted Floridians during the prime of her life" tsk tsk. To me, Florida just sounds incredibly hot as summer is approaching and we are currently 10+ degrees above normal here in F'ville much less 14+ hours southeast. But, I'm trying to be positive. We will be much closer to one of our favorite places in the world, Destin. We will also be closer to some dear friends, Dave and Emily Ward and their precious girl, Ella. Tallahassee is on the way to multiple gorgeous golfing destinations (Dad, Dennis!) and much closer to that Land of Childhood Glee and Parental Torture otherwise known as the Disney World complex. Whatever happens, we feel like God is leading us to Florida and will protect and provide for us on our way. So, check back in with us here to find out about all the developments in our Great Trek South. Pardon any ramblings or typos as I am continuing to contribute to my already astronomical "sleep debt".
Yes, I realize I have been parenthesis happy (parentheses??) but it's midnight for crying out loud!
1 comment:
Rea....Andy...Em...+cats,
Isn't it wonderful how you can just write like the wind when all is dark and you're hazy with no sleep? Best things I've ever written..
Anyway....I like this blog idea. You are (), I am ..... I guess I like....because it gives me time to think or lets the clutch engage.
But this will be a great place to get and share information. Good Luck. You know who..
Post a Comment