Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Aspirations???

The farther into this teaching thing I get, the more I think I'd like to do more with what I know. I'm not sure that means going back to school. But I would like to get more involved in curriculum development and sharing good ideas with other people while also continuing to steal good ideas from brilliant people. Friends and relatives have recently been branching out into other professional territories and I've felt...left behind. Part of me thinks that they are smarter than me and so those opportunities, of course, would go to them. But then the other part of me that knows better speaks up and says that I'm just as smart and have just as much to offer and why shouldn't I be grabbing at professional opportunities too? We're not in a great situation for me to spend a lot of time or money on developing anything right now but we might be within the next year. It's time for me to crank up my long dormant creative and pedagogical engines and get back into the fast(er) lane. This simultaneously excites me and scares the shit out of me. Discuss.

1 comment:

Katie Anders said...

You are one of the smartest people I know, so tell that one part of yourself to shove it.

I have felt the same way. I have lots of professional friends who are going back to school for this or that, and my problem is that when I hear them talking about papers and tests and clinicals, my skin crawls and then I have anxiety dreams about being back in school and not remembering my schedule or where any of my classes are. So I think going back to school is out for me...but I am doing extra stuff at work (not always by choice), and as soon as an opportunity for advancement presents itself, I'm there. Good luck to you!!