Lately I have been feeling more-than-the-usual amount of self-inflicted inferiority. My husband and his friends, as well as many of my friends, seem so much more INFORMED than I am. About lots of things. I realize that everyone has his/her strengths when it comes to areas of leisure. I also realize that people choose to spend their free time doing a myriad different activities. I realize, too, that I have not been indoctrinated (read "brainwashed") from the womb with baseball batting averages, NCAA/SEC team win/loss statistics, and memorized ALL Detroit Red Wings' players since Gordie Howe retired. But I am confident I am not a moron. I like sports and I would like to be able to speak more authoritatively about those that are my favorites (and Andy's favorites). I would like to know what is going on in current events and politics and not get my information second-hand from friends and family or, worse, Facebook. So one of my resolutions has been to stay more in-touch with the goings-on in the worlds of the sports I love and the world in general.
On a tangentially related topic, I would also like to stay more in touch with the people who are important to me. My other resolution is to keep up with family and friends' birthdays and special occasions. If they are special to me, I should prove it with my actions as well as my words.
Notice that neither of my resolutions, either in their generality or in their specificity, have anything to do with losing weight or spending more time at the gym. I don't know if that's because I feel like I'm doing well with that or if I'm working on the assumption that I will do better if I pretend like my physicality doesn't matter. As if perhaps the pressure I put on myself about food and physicality, if not applied, will result in some magical stick-to-it-iveness that isn't normally there. Reverse psychology towards weight loss?
They're basically just variations on a giant resolution to be more "aware" on a daily basis. Whatever the reasons - those are my resolutions.
No comments:
Post a Comment