Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Books - of course

For several months now I have been listening to books on my iPod while I work out. My friend Kat turned me on to it and I love it. Why did I not think of this before? Anyway, she and I have discovered a disheartening pattern. Narrators for YA books seem to leave a little wanting in the way of totally committing to the narration. Most adult books I've listened to have been pleasantly and believably narrated. The narrator of the Sookie Stackhouse novels is amazing! But, a large percentage of the YA books I've listened to have seemed stilted and wooden. (Anyone remember the awful listening experience on the ride back from State game in Orlando: Bel-la! Bel-la!") So this begs the question: Do audio producers feel that YA books don't deserve the same level of excellence they insist upon for adult books? YA books have so much to offer to YAs and adults alike. They have been the step-children of the book industry for years and are finally getting the much deserved acclaim they deserve. Why, oh why, is this 2nd rate status still hovering around these books? It's so unfair. OK - thus endeth the temper tantrum. For now.

No comments: