So, I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. I love how much hair I have. I have a few friends that are already thinning in patches and I feel lucky that that's not me. However, I also hate how much hair I have. It takes forever to dry it - which was a pain when it was straight but now it's torture since it's gone wavy. Back story: I was the girl with the long, board-straight hair all through high school. It was so long and straight that Senior year, my friend Julie, used a ruler as a guide and cut 6 inches off of it which still left it hanging between my shoulder blades. I cut it off in college (don't we all?), grew it back out again for my wedding (what is it with girls wanting long hair for the marriage?) and cut it progressively shorter until it was boy-short when Emma was born.
Since Emma, I've grown in back out again to the length it attained in summer 2007 when we moved to Tally. Then, I cut my hair off short because of the heat here. But, this has presented me with a dilemma. After Isabelle was born, I discovered that my hair was wavy. 2 different stylists have assured me that this is normal: apparently, with hormonal changes come hair changes. In cutting it short, I have flirted with wearing it wavy but I have a problem. When I wear my hair wavy, I worry about it ALL DAY LONG. I don't think it's wavy enough or that some of it's wavy and some of it's gross. If it's not humid, it sags. If it's too humid, it's frizzy. I now see what Nicole and Jess were complaining about all those years. I began wearing it wavy because it was faster than drying it, not really because I thought it looked good. Although, using some gel and scrunching makes it look WAY better than if I don't fix it. Then it looks like I had a really bad crimping iron accident.
Recently, I've bit the bullet and started straightening it. That adds about 15 minutes to my prep time in the morning and you all know how much I like to sleep. But, I feel so much better about my appearance when it's straight. Maybe it's because I was a straight-haired girl for so long? I don't understand it. And now I'm considering growing it out long again so I can ponytail (right, Gina?) or cutting it off really really short again. What is wrong with me??
3 comments:
You know I have hair ADD. I have a cycle of about a year or so, of growing it out, only to rediscover how bad it looks long and then cutting it off short again. I, too, went through hormone hair changes, though not as drastic as yours. Mine just turned kind of frizzy. Not anything I can wear au naturale. Jealous.
Oh I'm so glad to hear someone else having so much trouble deciding what to do with their hair. I think if Stephen hears me start a day with "Oh my gosh I hate my hair!" One more time he's going to divorce me. I have a hair appointment next week and I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do...part of me wants to chop it again, but another part of me misses the long hair I had before my wedding. Besides, I do love my pony tail :)
No one really likes their hair. but long or short, you are beautiful and there are many who would love to have your hair. You are blessed and I hope the kids take after your hair. Andy had a thick head of hair until now. I guess age gets us all. two days ago, my hair looked terrible, yesterday it was pretty, today, not too much. the nice thing about getting old, you feel liberated from always having to look good, because people don't care what I look like. ah, freedom.
Post a Comment