I decided that it was too daunting a task to try and cover the entire family and the holidays all in one post so I'm tackling it one person at a time. Here's the scoop on Emma. Short timeline: we spent the week leading up to Christmas and Christmas Day in FL. Santa came to our house and while the kiddos played with their loot, Andy and I scrambled around packing for a trek to AR. We were both feeling under the weather but we soldiered on. We spent 2 days in the car, 3 days with the Sniders, 3 days with the Mauks (and Moellers on New Year's Eve!) and then 2 more days in the car to make it back to Tally with one day to spare to do laundry and unpack toys.
Emma, unlike the rest of us, was mostly healthy over the Christmas holidays. She wanted "lots and lots and lots and lots" of presents, as she told Grandpa on the phone about a week before Christmas. And she got lots of presents. I don't know how, but between E and J we managed to get everything packed in the car to make it back to FL after our visit to AR. Her favorite toy (until this evening) was her nursery set that Santa brought her complete with crib, swing, changing table and stroller. We were informed at dinner tonight that, "Santa never brings me what I want!" and asked if we could take it all back so she could get the pink horse she really wanted. Andy, Santa and I had never heard anything about a pink horse so this was news to us. After explaining that Santa has a No Returns policy, she seemed mollified.
She is loving school and is beginning to be even more observant than ever. She has started noticing the different races and ethnicities of her classmates and teachers. Mostly she describes anyone other than white as "brown" be they African American, Indian American or Hispanic. I guess that's a pretty accurate physical description though. She can recognize all of her letters and does pretty well with numbers 1-10. She likes to line up her foam letters in the bathtub and sing the ABC song while she points to each one. We're missing a few letters from wear and tear over the past 4 years but she leaves a space for the "broken" letters.
She is an amazing big sister. She is so helpful and she even likes to play with Jackson. Mostly they roll around on the floor like puppies, both yelping. She tickles him and he bites and pulls her hair. Then the screaming intensifies and things like, "Mama, Jackson's hurting me!" float to me from her room or the living room. I have flashes of the battles of the next 10-15 years but shake them off quickly. She helps me make bottles and change his diapers and even helps feed him - although she can never stand still long enough for an entire feeding.
She is really into verbal play and pusing her limits with language right now. She says mean things and then tries to avoid consequences by saying, "I'm just joking.." I think she got that from Horton Hears a Who. Thanks Mauk family! She also uses bathroom words like "poop" and "peepee" and "snot" and then smiles wickedly. We try not to laugh and discourage the budding tendency toward potty-mouth (pun semi-intended). She has also started saying, "Oh My God!" which we are trying to morph into "Oh My Gosh!" We think someone at school says it because Andy and I have been pretty careful to avoid things like that. There was my brief affair with saying "damn" under my breath when I was frustrated but when Emma spilled her milk and said, "Damn, Mama, I'm sorry" I nipped that bad habit in the bud quickly.
She loves to dance and sing and these efforts were supported by the Hannah Montana gear she received for Christmas. She has a guitar, a microphone, a purse and a double disk CD set. Thanks to all the aunts and uncles who will be paid back in kind as soon as you have your own rugrats. Particularly when you add in the GIANT PIXIE STICKS Uncle Scott sent our way, there were a few days of what appeared to be a 4 year old drugged out rocking on the ottoman in our living room. Have no fear Scott, there will be reciprocation.
We're looking forward to dance or gymnastics classes this spring. And she is taking all sorts of realistic and abstract photos with her new camera. She's still obsessed with movies and has started learning lines and inflections as well as just watching them. I think I told you about her school Christmas play where she knew ALL the parts. We're thinking acting classes are in her future as well.
I'm sure I've forgotten something but this at least gets everyone up to date. Stay tuned for Jackson, Andy and Reagan updates. Pictures will follow as well when I have more than 10 minutes to myself. So, sometime next year.
2 comments:
Loved all the news...... thanks, Mimi
I want it documented that I got quiet toys so don't include me in your "revenge plots"!!! :)
Post a Comment