It has struck me that regardless of age, most students are alike. They all know they have to be in school, they all hate it that they have no choice, and they're just waiting until the end of class so they can go do what they really want to do. Is this any different when we're adults? Not really. Right now I know I have to be at work every day, I hate it that I don't have any better options (like sitting on a beach somewhere drinking something with a tiny umbrella in it - and NO, putting a tiny umbrella in my water at work is NOT the same thing), and I can't wait until the end of class so I can go do what I want to do. "So why do you teach?" I hear you cry. At this point, I'm not really sure. I could give you some canned response like, "Even if it's just one student who says I've helped them, then at least I've made a difference," but that would be tantamount to lying. I definitely don't teach for the money. Have you seen what teachers make in Florida? Shameful. Secretly, I do love that tlittle thrill one gets when you see a kid finally understand something or gain a new appreciation for reading or writing. But let's be honest, how often does that happen. If I had a dollar for every kid who's made a comment about how much I've impacted their lives, I'd have almost enough money to buy a value-meal at McDonald's - and I've been teaching for 8 years! Really, I enjoy making my students miserable. I love the groans and rolling of eyes when I assign essays. I live for the gasps when they get their mid-term grades. I revel in creating impossible to pass quizzes. Isn't that the point? Aren't they supposed to be miserable as they're at school? How else will they know they've learned anything?
In that respect, my current 10th graders are no idfferent than my former 8th graders. One would think that high school students would be a tad bit more invested in their education. Sadly, no. I'm still floating from classroom to classroom but am told I could have my own classroom, albeit in a portable building, after Christmas. So, I guess my books will stay boxed up until next year. 10th graders aren't that much more mature than 8th graders so I'm not experiencing the kind of relief I expected teaching high school. The curriculum is much more defined which makes planning a lot easier but it gets kind of numbing sometimes. So far I've read the beginning of To Kill a Mockingbird 5 times. Apparently no one in Florida can read by themselves either. It's good to know that illiteracy is nation-wide rather than just an Arkansas problem. I am infuriated with kids who won't do anything but then, that's always made me mad. I guess I thought high-schoolers would be a little more invested. Guess who was WAY wrong!?
That's all I know. I don't know if we're going to make it to AR for Thanksgiving and even if we do, we'll probably stay in Central AR. We're spending Christmas in Orlando with my family (could be good, could be bad...) and haven't decided yet if we're trekking to AR after that or not. It will probably depend on how huge and uncomfortable I am at that point. I miss you guys a lot. I haven't really made any friends here yet - even the people I work with I'm not really sure I want to hang out with outside of school yet. I'm just tired of constantly going home and being around no one but Andy and E. Don't get me wrong - love 'em; would jump in front of a speeding truck for them, but I'm ready to have some girlfriends. .
7 comments:
awwww, reagan, hang in there!! there has to be some friends in FL for you, how could girls NOT want to hang out with you? you are HILARIOUS!!! not to mention bright, beautiful & also down to earth...hmmm, i have made some close friends in CA but nothing really compared to you guys, i know how you feel. :) when is that Vegas trip again? hA!
Hang in there! I can definitely relate seeing that I've moved 3 times in the last 6 years...2 of those being in the last 2 years. It will get better!
My phone skills have gotten better :) I know we haven't talked in a while, but you can call just to chat if you need to/
BTW...I needed a good book to read and thought I would try Twilight. Umm...a littl hooked! For a non-reading mama type...I've read 350 pages in two days. I'd say I'm hooked!
ha ha! I've converted another one! Yes, Twilight rocks and if you can corrall Ella long enough even to get in 10 pages, it's worth it. Are you working right now? Would love to talk to you. Andy has a meeting tonight so after I get the tornado to bed, I'll try to call you. Can't wait to hear what you think of the next 2 books in the Twilight series.
print this blog and let your kids read it. they will appreciate your honesty. that's what kids want, down to earth reality. tell them they aren't the only ones who are frustrated. you are, too and tell them why. laugh with them, at them and relax. some of these kids will get it. and as far as friends, they are there. you are a wonderful, delightful, intelligent young woman and anyone who has you for a friend, will indeed be very lucky. lots of love. mom # 2
You know... it's always hard to invest all of who you are into something without seeing the bigger picture along with the overall results... and even though I'm only 24 - I've had some experience with what you are talking about - golf, and now drums - (forgive my grammar) - even now it's been a difficult road, but ultimately I've had to go back and think about what I love and more importantly what God has called me to do... even though that in itself can be really blurry most of the time - i think that it's obvious God has given you the gift of teaching - and trust me some people suck ass at teaching.... Just know that I believe in you - that's all I'm saying - God will reward you - he has made you that promise
love you
J
Jay,
That's quite possibly the sweetest thing you could have said to me. It was perfect; you've made me smile. Hope you're having a good day. Love ya - R
Post a Comment