We're homeless. Currently, we're crashing with the Mauk's in Hot Springs. Yesterday we were here for about 3.4 minutes before Emma insisted on getting in the pool. Grandma wasn't even here but we were slathered in sublock, suited up and on our way into the water before you could say, "Hi, Grandpa, good to see you!"
We also spent a few days with my dad in LIttle Rock and had a lovely dinner with Uncle Matt and Aunt Leanne. Uncle Matt grills a mean chicken breast. I insist on getting some of those spices from his grandmother. The chicken was delicious! Emma even ate it without barbeque sauce or ketchup- that's amazing. Mom/Mimi was in Atlanta for a technology conference for her school so we only got to see her for a few minutes before we headed to Hot Springs yesterday.
We're homeless until July 6. Andy and I are leaving next Wed. to begin the 2 day drive with the cats to Tallahassee. By the way, cats on traquilizers = hilarious! I realize that sounds cruel but most of you know how much I adore my cats. I would never do anything purposefully cruel. It's just that glassy-eyed, mewling kitties who can't walk a straight line are just funny and that's all there is to it. I'll try to take photos on the way to Tallahassee.
I did tear up a little when leaving Fayetteville. I cried for 2 reasons: (1) We were leaving our home of the past 7 years. 12 years actually, since Andy and I both attended college there. (2) I'm realatively sure that at least half of my belongings will be damaged or broken when they arrive in Florida. The loaders did a really good job on the first 2/3 of the truck, the last 1/3 of the truck seemed to just be thrown in there. Our lawnmower is current perched precariously above my couches. I see grass stains, grease stains and gasoline stains pockmarking the couches in my nightmares.In addition to the potential couch disaster, the oversized chair will probably be ruined. In fact, I'm almost certain it will be broken. The put the chair in first, with our giant TV in the seat. They surrounded the TV with couch cushions so I feel like the TV will survive, much to Andy's dismay. Then they stacked the 150+ pound storage ottoman ON TOP of the TV. So, maybe the TV won't make it but I'm more worried about the bottom of the chair. THEN they stacked our outdoor (yep, OUTDOOR) patio table on top of the ottoman. I'll be shocked if the bottom of the chair isn't ripped out. They even had to push a few things back with they brought the door down. That's the only thing that's giving me hope about the rest of it surviving the trip. It's so packed in there, I will be shocked if it shifted very much. I guess we'll see. Ultimately, it's just stuff. If we have to replace or repair, that's what we'll do. Slip covers wouldn't be so awful anway. At least then we could wash out the sippy-cup spills and cheeto skids. Oh well, I guess we learned the hard way this time. I think it would definitely have been worth it to have professionals pack the truck instead of local movers so that our things would have been insured. Maybe next time. Yes, we saved about $1500 but we might be paying that out to repair what's screwed up when we get there. Keep your fingers crossed.
We'll be headed back to Little Rock on Sunday for a few days before we leave for FL for good.E's staying with Mimi & Papa while Andy and I travel down to the new house and close. E will be coming the following Wednesday. Hopefully we'll be able to get a lot of unpacking done before she shows up. We also have a cat-door to install (any tips, Scott?), bookcases to put together and a kitchen table to buy. Whew. Who's idea was this?
1 comment:
Sounds like Emma is doing ok with the transition! Down hill slide from here!
Post a Comment